Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Prompt: Why I Write

Why I write is beyond words. It's a scratch to the bottom of my soul, it's my unconscious leaking out of my body, it's stuff arriving from places that surprise me, images from the gods, dialogue from those I do not know (but somehow I know them), jokes and animals and achy breaky hearts marching across my beat up old notebook. It's powers that be from another plane crossing this metaphysical barrier to visit me.

Sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes I am locked in reality--flat, drab, confining, boring reality. At those points I am so grateful for 10 minute prompts, for words that evaporate as soon as they drop onto the page, words that get plowed under with the next prompt.

Alida Thacher, Friday Morning Workshop, Summer 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment